Serious Sam The Second Encounter Level Hints Tips & Tricks|
Tags: Serious Sam The Second Encounter Level Hints Game Guides, Serious Sam The Second Encounter Level Hints Hints, Serious Sam The Second Encounter Level Hints Walkthrough
Serious Sam - The Second Encounter - Level Hints
"IN THE LAST EPISODE" (1 secret)
Note: Secret not found. It would seem that the player cannot
influence what happens in the intro. However, when you access
the "Statistics" section of Sam's computer display at the start
of the next (first playable) level of the game, you will notice
that the current total number of secrets stands at 13 whereas the
subtotal for level 1 is only 12; there is a discrepancy in kills
statistics as well. That means that you have already missed one
secret, and yet you have
not even started playing.
MISSION ONE: MESOAMERICA
LEVEL 1: SIERRA DE CHIAPAS (12 secrets)
1. From the starting position, dive all the way down to collect
a weapon in the lit spot near the bottom.
2. Once you surface from #1, get onto the small peninsula with a
tree to collect an armor piece.
3. Still on the #2 peninsula, walk towards the phone booth to
"discover" it. (You might as well get inside and make a call.)
NEAR THE FIRST TEMPLE
4. Skirt the outer left wall of the temple. Find a darker section on the wall
near the spot where it meets the mountain. Blast it to discover an entrance.
5. Get through the hole you created in #4, and go down to discover a "hall of
fame." (Stick around for a silly presentation.)
6. From #5, get outside and walk straight to discover remains of the crate bus
that collided with Sam's spaceship in the intro.
7. From #6, continue up the slope until you collect an ammo pack.
INSIDE THE FIRST TEMPLE
8. At the end of the corridor with hazy sunlight coming through the openings in
the roof, there will be a T-junction. Turn left, away from the corridor with
crushing blocks. Go on to find a "secret Mental's room." (Use the jump pads
marked by lit letters, in this order: M, E, N, T, A, L; a niche with a healing
pack will open on the other side. After you collect the pack, you can jump on
any pad to get back.)
9. When you exit the temple, you will notice a pit not far off. There is a ledge
in the pit that you should jump down to, to collect a weapon. (When done, drop
to the lower ledge to be teleported.)
10. After you pass the first suspension bridge and before you reach the second
one, look for a conspicuous rock on the mountainside on your left. Blow it up to
discover a cave. (Go inside, dive, and swim on.)
11. When you emerge from the water passage you entered in #10, cross the
suspension bridge to collect a healing pack on the other side.
12. When you reach the second temple, dive into the pond to find another healing
pack in the lit spot near the bottom.
LEVEL 2: VALLEY OF THE JAGUAR (8 secrets)
Note: One secret not found. Maybe non-secret A is actually a secret too stubborn
STILL INSIDE THE TEMPLE
1. When you get across the cave outfitted with both floating and stationary jump
pads and find yourself on the final ledge, jump onto the smaller ledge located
slightly lower, on the left, to be catapulted onto the overhang above the larger
ledge for some ammo.
Non-secret A. As soon as you get out of the temple into the open, turn around
and you will notice a camouflaged ledge on the hill slope. Blow it up to release
an invulnerability power-up.
2. When you get to the top of the pyramid to the right of the entrance, slide
down to the nearest ledge on the right side and blast the darker section on the
wall to reveal a weapon.
3. Proceed to the corner of the valley where you can see a huge ball sitting at
the top, to collect an armor piece.
4. Head for the corner of the valley diagonally across from #3, where you can
see the "Crollywood" sign, to get a "movie studio" secret registered.
5. Go inside the stone hut to the left of the pyramid that has an antenna on
top. There is a small ammo depot there.
6. From #5, circle the base of the pyramid to collect a healing pack, which is
located where its right side meets the grassy slope.
INSIDE THE MOUNTAIN ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE VALLEY
7. After you pass the windy room with spikes on both side walls, you will find
yourself in a corridor with four health vials. At the end of it, there is a
bounce pad in the alcove on your left. Jump up and collect the items sitting on
the overhead beam.
LEVEL 3: THE CITY OF THE GODS (15 secrets)
FIRST LARGE COURTYARD
1. When you leave the ammo depot (where you start) and enter a courtyard, walk
to the right and cut down the tree in the corner closest to the entrance. This
will reveal a wedge-shaped area between the stone hut and the perimeter wall.
Collect the healing pack there.
2. In the right-hand corner furthest from the entrance: In the area between the
building with facade columns and the perimeter wall, find a darker section on
the building and blast it to find an armor piece.
3. In the left-hand corner furthest from the entrance: Get behind the corner
building to find a health pill. Pick it up to activate a "secret bloodbath."
4. Get inside the building where you are supposed to find the scary mask; it is
on the same side of the courtyard as #3. Blow up the fallen pillar to reveal a
5. Follow the corridor you found in #4 into a room with cannon balls. Destroy
the central pillar there to find a weapon.
6. Visit the remaining corner of the courtyard to collect an ammo pack.
NEXT LARGE COURTYARD
7. On the left side, behind the third tree from the entrance, there is an
unobtrusive twinkling teleport that takes you to a "yard of strange-looking
Non-secret A. In the #7 secret, blast the "strange-looking heads" for a higher
8. Back in the courtyard you teleported from, go behind the large building
opposite the entrance to collect an ammo pack.
VILLAGE AFTER THE "VERY LONG RUN"
9. Find a hut with a snake ornament on the roof. Enter the hut (and sidestep
quickly) to discover a "lost Spanish cannon." (Destroy the canon.)
10. Reach the section of the perimeter wall that is directly opposite the
entrance. There is a healing pack behind the hut that stands at an angle to the
11. In the village, you enter the building that leads underground. In the middle
of the first hall, there is a healing pack pulsating just under the ceiling.
Blast the stone piece it is sitting on to collect it.
Non-secret A. After you get through the door at the end of the hall just
mentioned, there will be a sloping passage. If you jump over the rails there,
you will find yourself in a chute. As you slide down, several power-ups get
spawned. However, the chute ends in spikes. Once or twice I was able to jump out
of the chute before getting killed by the spikes (I even managed to grab a
couple of items before escaping). I think you should bump into a side beam to
achieve this feat. It happens really fast, so I am not certain. Maybe there is
an easier way.
12. In the hall into which you are dropped from the sloping passage mentioned in
the non-secret, blast the central section of the wall on the right to find some
13. Repeat #12 on the left wall to discover a "secret poker game."
14. In the windy corridor with rectangular holes in the floor and round holes in
the walls, enter a secret passage through the first round hole on your right.
15. In the lava cave, go to the right, towards the half-submerged building.
There is a low-lying ledge between the building and the rock wall, with an ammo
pack on it.
Non-secret B. In the pit where everybody jumps up and down, picking up a second
health pill creates temporary "gravity off" conditions, meaning that everybody
will stop at different altitudes for a while. I think this procedure can be
repeated indefinitely, since the pills are respawned.
LEVEL 4: SERPENT YARDS (10 secrets)
1. Go right from the entrance and collect an ammo pack in the corner.
2. Same as #1, only in the left corner: Pick up the armor shard there to
discover a "suicidal plant."
3. After the explosion in which red mechanoids get released from a rectangular
enclosure, search inside the ruins for a healing pack.
4. After you cross the force field, go behind the stone hut on the right to
collect an ammo pack.
5. Approach the flattened head to the right of the structure that housed the
mask of Ix Chel (only possible after you capture the mask). Blast the head after
it attacks you (or just let it explode) to get a healing pack.
6. From #5, walk to the rear of the Moon Pyramid and use the switch there to
activate a "mega ultra explosion."
BACK IN THE SNAKE-GATE COURTYARD
7. Before leaving through the Snake Gate, get inside the "bad head" building
(accessible only after you pick up the Ix Chel mask) to collect an armor piece.
COURTYARD PAST THE SNAKE GATE
8. In the far right corner, collect a health pill to reveal a "secret watcher."
9. Shoot the watching eyes spawned in #8, to activate a "mighty kamikaze."
10. Destroy the two jaguar statues on the overhang above the exit to release a
LEVEL 5: THE PIT (10 secrets)
1. Behind the fourth pillar on the right, there is a darkened passage to a spot
with a healing pack.
PAST THE "DANGEROUS FORCES" HALL
2. At the end of the first corridor with arches, there is an twinkling teleport
in the lamp on the left. Use it to collect an armor piece.
STONE BRIDGE STRUCTURE
3. Near the end of the first bridge, jump onto the side ledge on the right to
find a twinkling teleport just off the bridge. Jump into it to get some ammo.
Use the nearby teleport to return to the bridge.
4. Right after you enter the stairwell tower, go right to find a healing pack
under the staircase.
5. In the seventh window up the staircase, there will be a mini-version of the
red reptiloid demon. Kill it to release a healing pack.
6. At the L-shaped intersection on the upper bridge, destroy the two lamps on
the first (as you approach) outer ledge to summon "annoying Pinky's lost
7. From #6, go to the other ledge at the same intersection and use the "secret
broken teleport" in the right lamp. (Once teleported up, you will have to jump
towards the armor piece to get it.)
PAST THE "NEWTON'S NIGHTMARE" TUBE
8. In the corridor following the room with a stone head and two Serious bombs,
destroy the eight lamps to have some ammo spawned.
9. After you repel the first enemy attack, the gate with the snake ornament will
be opened. Walk up the staircase, turn right, and use the teleport in the corner
lamp. Jump down to the roof of the booth where you have been teleported, and
collect some "rocket-festival gear."
10. After #9, quickly jump off the booth onto the perimeter ledge and then
towards the healing pack sitting between the two nearby lamps. A "rocket
festival" will be activated.
MISSION TWO: MESOPOTAMIA
LEVEL 6: ZIGGURAT (10 secrets)
1. From the starting position, walk around the building to collect a weapon.
2. In the hall with spiral staircases on the central pillars, one of those
pillars has a side opening. From the opening, you can jump down safely and
collect the healing pack that you may have noticed from upstairs earlier.
FIRST WINGED-HORSE COURTYARD
3. After you enter, head right and look for a darker section on the wall of the
ziggurat where it meets the perimeter wall. Blast it to find a healing pack.
4. As in #3, only to the left of the entrance: Pick up the ammo pack sitting in
the corner to discover a "suicidal avenger plant."
5. There is a darker section on the perimeter wall behind the tower housing the
"hawk wing" artifact. Blast it to find an armor shard (and a monster).
BUILDING AT THE END OF THE COURTYARD
6. When you enter, you will notice a supply depot through a grating on your
right. After you unlock the door on the same side, enter and go to the right.
Move into the dark area between the first two pillars on the right wall; you
will find the items you have noticed.
FIRST RESIDENTIAL AREA
7. There is a solitary plant in the desert at some distance from the village, to
the right of the entrance to this area. Collect the speed power-up there.
8. Still near #7, blast the plant to find a damage power-up.
COURTYARD IN THE RIGHT SECTION OF THE SECOND RESIDENTIAL AREA
9. Walk to the wall opposite the entrance, past the lone statue of a winged
horse. Turn left there and collect the health pill near the two-story building
to enable a "Boxing Barry" secret. Then, walk along the building until you hear
a squeaking sound. Look up and shoot off the flapping window shutter. A green
reptiloid will be spawned on the roof of the opposite building, only to be
10. After you touch the green stone, exit the tower housing it and go 10
o'clock. Blast the darker section of the wall in the niche and enter. Look up,
and you will see a wooden platform up above. Blast it, too; an invulnerability
power-up will be released.
LEVEL 7: THE ELEPHANT ATRIUM (12 secrets)
STILL INSIDE THE BUILDING
1. From the first hall, go through the door on the right, turn left, go up the
staircase, and make two lefts. You should be on the platform overlooking the
first hall. Use the bounce pad on the left to get on top of a pillar and jump
your way to the healing pack on the other side.
2. On the left side of the outer wall of the "Holy Bathhouse" (the building with
two warrior statues), blast the darker section to find an armor piece.
3. If you go left from the entrance to Elephant Square, you will find a health
pill by the perimeter wall. Pick it up. Several mechanoids will be spawned, and
the wall will be partly blown up, revealing a secret yard.
4. When you reach the end of the #3 yard, you will find a detonator switch. Use
it to destroy a pyramid.
SMALL COURT PAST THE DOOR OF PURITY
5. Now, this one is really frustrating. When you have eliminated the initial
enemy presence, six Kleer skeletons will be catapulted, one by one, into the
court from behind the perimeter wall to the right of the entrance. If you
succeed in taking each one out before it touches the ground (only possible with
the sniper rifle, I think), you will receive a congratulatory message.
NEXT ACCESSIBLE COURTYARD
6. From the entrance, make two rights and pick up the ammo pack. A "mutated
plant" will appear.
7. As in #6, only on the left: You will notice a darker section on the wall of
the entrance building. Blast it to find an armor piece.
8. Diagonally across from #6, there is a niche in the perimeter wall, with a
COURTYARD WHERE YOU FIRST SEE THE GOLDEN ELEPHANT STATUE
9. Go around the pit with the statue and use the switch on the wall to unseal a
10. You will know you have reached the secret yard (that you unsealed in #9)
when you see a red phone booth. Go to the end of the yard to find some useful
LAST WINGED-HORSE COURTYARD
11. To the right of the horse statue, there is a building with a locked door. If
you go to the left of the statue, you will find a switch to the left of the up
staircase. Use the switch to unlock that door. (Visit the building, naturally.)
12. Approach the horse statue from behind. Get as close as you can to its, ahem,
rear. When the "Use" message appears, press the Use key to harness some "secret
LEVEL 8: COURTYARDS OF GILGAMESH (11 secrets)
1. Go to the right of the entrance and use the two ledges on the wall to get
onto the otherwise inaccessible platform. You will find a healing pack there.
2. Dive into the left pool and go through the only opening without a grating.
Collect the ammo pack.
3. Go to the other pool and collect the ammo pack sitting by the pool.
4. Dive into the #3 pool. Right after the underwater hall with a pillar in the
middle, you will find yourself in a room where you can: (a) surface to catch
some air; (b) swim all the way down; (c) go to the right towards the exit. Opt
for (b) first, then go straight and swim up to find a secret room.
COURTYARD AFTER THE "NASTY DIVE"
5. Look for two golden domes located outside the courtyard, and you will notice
a red-and-white practice target on a tower that is also located outside. Shoot
the target, and a niche on the right side of the perimeter wall will be opened.
6. From #5, walk along the perimeter wall until you reach the corner, then turn
left. Collect the ammo pack behind the pyramid to discover "a mutated plant and
7. From #6, walk along the perimeter wall some more, and you will reach the
point opposite the niche opened in #5. Blast the darker section to reveal a
"don't push" detonator switch. (Ignore the message and push the switch.)
BUILDING YOU ENTER AFTER GETTING THE GOLDEN LION STATUE
8. Go through the opening on the right, and you will reach a hall with a
pulsating heart. Collect it to get the secret registered.
9. When you have fought your way through a particularly nasty narrow corridor
(you will know), walk to the left to find an armor piece in a niche.
10. At some point, the "leap of faith" platform will be passing under a small
ledge with a pulsating heart (on your left). If you time your shot correctly,
you can blast the ledge so that the heart falls onto the platform. (I think your
cue should be Sam's second utterance while under attack, something like "Now I
am seriously serious.")
11. There will be an outside tower on your left. Shoot the red-and-white target
on it to observe some wild hearts and eventually get one.
LEVEL 9: TOWER OF BABEL (10 secrets)
1. Find a niche in the wall to the left of the exit to collect some ammo.
CHAMBER OF COSMOS
2. Between the second pillar (from the entrance) and the staircase, jump down
into the lower niche to collect a healing pack. (You will be teleported back.
This secret can be obstinate, so you may need several tries to make it
3. After the narrow bridge and before another up staircase, visit the lower
platform to collect some ammo.
4. In the lower area, where you get via the elevator, shoot any of the mouse-
sized holes to summon "deadly midgets."
5. In the area where you slide down towards the exit door, go to the floor lamp
located on the right side of the slide. Use the bounce pad behind the lamp to be
catapulted onto a platform where you find some ammo. (There is a teleport in the
corner there to take you back.)
6. In the left section of the courtyard, there is a pillar in the perimeter
wall, with a bas-relief of a warrior. At some point, its eyes start to glow. I
do not think you have to wait for that, though; just blast the pillar at any
time to find a "passage to Egypt."
Non-secret A. Once on the movie set in the #6 secret, you can destroy the mini-
version of Ugh-Zan III to spawn an armor piece.
Non-secret B. Still in #6, a healing pack can also get spawned after some
additional destruction, but I am not certain what exactly triggers that. One
thing for sure: you may not kill the mini-version of your own character, Sam.
COURTYARD PAST THE ONE WITH THE SECOND TABLET OF WISDOM
7. Go to the perimeter wall directly opposite the entrance, behind the flat
statue. There is a darker section on the wall of the building there, on your
right. Blast it to collect an invulnerability power-up.
COURTYARD PAST THE ONE WITH THE THIRD TABLET OF WISDOM
8. Go 1 o'clock from the entrance and pick up the health pill in the corner to
summon a "mighty gizmo."
BACK IN THE FIRST COURTYARD
9. When you return to the "magnificent view" courtyard, go to the left of the
base of the entrance to the Tower of Babel, to collect an invulnerability power-
10. Rather than going into the Tower of Babel right away, revisit the courtyard
to the left of it - the one where you got the first tablet of wisdom. Go in for
a "secret round two," i.e., for another raid through the courtyards surrounding
the tower, following the now-familiar path.
MISSION THREE: EASTERN EUROPE
LEVEL 10: THE CITADEL (16 secrets)
Note: Before starting the level, read secret 11 below.
1. The third hut on the left side has a squeaking door. Destroy the door (with
the knife) to collect a weapon inside.
BUILDING AT THE END OF THE COURTYARD
2. Soon after you leave the Kill-o-Matic room via the elevator, you will notice
a niche (with a switch) in the wall. Come closer, and a "Use" message will
appear, as will a green reptiloid behind you. Use the switch then, to knock out
3. Jump off the bridge onto the rock base of the first stone pillar on your left
to collect a healing pack. (Use the glowing bounce pad to get back.)
FIRST COURTYARD PAST THE BRIDGE
4. Go behind the hut in the corner to the right of the entrance to collect an
5. Same as in #4, only at 2 o'clock from the entrance.
6. In the smaller, enclosed area to the right of the courtyard, discover two
sets of graves by the perimeter wall. (You may open each grave, if so inclined.)
7. In the far left corner from the entrance, there is a dead tree. At some
point, apparently after you collect the nearby napalm capsules, the tree turns
into a "secret jumping plant."
SECOND COURTYARD AFTER THAT ONE
8. In the far right corner from the entrance, there is a barrel by the building.
Destroy it and get behind the building to obtain an invulnerability power-up.
9. Diagonally across from #8, to the right (if you look from your #8 position)
of the entrance, there is an area with a phone booth behind the stone hut. Move
in to find some ammo.
ROOM WITH BIG COGWHEELS
10. From the entrance, go through the small opening on the left, into the water.
Dive, turn around, and look for a niche with a healing pack.
11. To discover this secret without resorting to a cheat, you need to get from
the level's starting position to this courtyard in time for the clock to strike
midnight. You start the level at about 11:45 p.m. (virtual time), which makes it
a tough task indeed, especially since you probably want to check the previous
areas thoroughly enough to discover the other secrets. A "midnight mega secret"
gets enabled at midnight: the door of the hut located to the left of the
entrance ledge opens, providing access to some very useful "midnight items."
Entering the hut gets the secret registered. You have 1 minute to claim the
goodies, after which the door closes again. I wonder if the door opens again,
e.g., if you leave the game running for 24 hours, but I am not obsessed enough
to try that. Anyway, if your only concern is to make the secret register, you
can go behind the hut and get close enough to its rear wall. For some reason,
you will pick up the damage power-up from inside the hut and get the message
about finding the "midnight items."
12. Go behind the clustered buildings to the right of the exit gate, to find an
NEXT COURTYARD, WITH A DRAWBRIDGE
13. Collect some ammo behind the hut to the left of the courtyard entrance.
14. Diagonally across from #13, there is an armor piece behind the corner hut.
15. After you fall from the chute into the water, search the bottom for items.
The secret registers when you collect a 50-point healing pack.
Non-secret A. Before any enemies appear, you can blast the thumping spikes off
the pillars and blow up the pillars themselves for better fighting conditions.
16. There is a barrel in a corner, which you can destroy to reveal an armor
LEVEL 11: LAND OF THE DAMNED (13 secrets)
1. One of the huts at the start of the village, on the left side, has a
squeaking door. Blast the door and step inside to collect a damage power-up.
2. Press the switch on the windmill to summon a "secret Santa."
Non-secret A. Find and shoot the running Santa for a present. If you choose to
dispatch him with the single revolver (or better yet, the flamethrower, using
short bursts; that will sometimes produce an amusing effect) rather than a more
devastating weapon, you will be able to maximize Santa's gift output.
3. In the second half of the village, beyond the windmill, look for Santa's feet
in a chimney. Blast the chimney to unplug the "secret jammed Santa."
4. There is a snowman close to #3. Shoot it to find an armor piece.
5. Pick up the armor piece in front of the bespectacled snowman, who will then
attack you. Terminate this "snowman avenger."
6. The hut just to the right of the #5 avenger has a squeaking door. Blast the
door and step inside to collect an invulnerability power-up.
7. Not far away from #6, on the right side of the village, there is a snowman
with a switch. Use the switch to summon another "secret Santa."
Non-secret B. Same as #A.
YARD WITH THE MOUNTAIN ENTRANCE
8. Shoot at the snowman repeatedly to find that you were dealing with an
"incredible shrinking snowman."
FIRST LAVA CAVE
9. In the middle of the stone passage that serves as a bridge, there is a gap.
Drop through the gap into the familiar twinkling, to be teleported to a healing
SECOND LAVA CAVE
10. When you enter, you should be able to discern a glow on a stone ledge up
ahead. Blast the ledge, and an ammo pack will fall onto the passage below, where
you will pick it up when you reach it. (You may also destroy the ledge when you
get across the lava to the other side of the cave, but the ledge will be even
less visible then.)
11. Before leaving this cave, go to the left of the exit and then to the left of
the boulder that gives the impression of blocking the passage. Follow the narrow
ledge to collect a weapon.
THIRD LAVA CAVE
12. When you reach the point where you have to use floating platforms to
proceed, get on the one on your left that is furthest away from your position
and closest to the two-pronged solitary rock standing in the middle of the lava
lake, also on your left. The platform will start sailing towards the rock. As
you get nearer, you will notice a ledge by the rock, with some goodies. Grab
them when you feel it is safe (the armor piece counts as a secret), and jump
back onto the platform, which will make a full circle around the rock. (You may
want to forgo the platform and just wade to the ledge, since the platform moves
rather slowly and you are open to enemy fire all along.)
13. When you cross the arched bridge that leads to the exit from the cave,
circle its base to collect a healing pack.
LEVEL 12: THE GRAND CATHEDRAL (6 secrets)
CORRIDOR OF DEATH
1. Turn to the right from the entrance and blast the darker
section on the perimeter wall to discover some items.
2. In the far right corner of the second leg of the corridor,
there is a dude with an Afro looking out from a window. Shoot
him to have a damage power-up launched from behind the perimeter
wall onto the passage.
3. Towards the end of the third leg of the corridor, blast the
darker section of the left perimeter wall to discover a teleport
to a "pumpkin field" (go there).
4. In the sixth leg of the corridor, blast the darker section on
the left wall to discover another teleport, which leads to an
"embryo museum" (again, go there).
5. At the start of the seventh and final leg of the corridor,
look to your left. In the middle window of the bastion you will
see a Scythian witch-harpy mooning you. Kill the witch to have an
invulnerability power-up launched onto the passage from behind the
6. At some point during the final battle, you will receive a
message about a pink secret having been enabled. That refers
to the pink section of the perimeter wall just to the right
of the bounce pad on the right side of the courtyard (if you
are looking from the starting position). The message means that
you can now approach that section and just crawl inside to
retrieve a healing pack, at which point the secret will register.
Major spoiler. Apparently, Mordekai the Summoner summons his
minions and teleports himself back and forth only when you are
in his line of sight. If you are wise (or cowardly) enough to
choose your position correctly, i.e., hide somewhere behind the
protruding features of the cathedral on either side, you should
be able to dispatch the monster pretty easily, without being
bothered by lesser enemies - or the boss himself. Peek outside
just enough to be able to shoot at his shoulder or some other
part of his anatomy. The sniper rifle is your best bet.